Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Football season is over: Lets move on.

Football season is over. Pittsburgh won the Super Bowl and there is nothing left to talk about despite what ESPN may think. There is no reason to further discuss Arizona's great season. No need to discuss the final play or whether Kurt Warner fumbled or not or why the play was not reviewed. There is no reason to talk about how great Super Bowl XLIII was or how wonderful a catch Santonio Holmes made for the Steelers, a catch that won the game and one that will be shown in highlight reels for a long long time.
Honestly, football season is over.
You're not going to find anything in this blog about my thoughts on Warner and whether he is a future Hall of Famer. Besides, there is not much room for debate anyway.
If you lead a cellar dweller like the Arizona Cardinals to the Super Bowl, throwing for 4,588 yards and 30 touchdowns along the way and then almost upset the favored opponent, you should already be in the Hall of Fame discussion.
Then when you consider his 28,591 career passing yards and 182 career touchdowns and his two MVP seasons with the St. Louis Rams where he won a Super Bowl, this should be a no-brainer.
And Warner has done all this as a hobby. If you've forgotten, his real job is bagging groceries. I know he has Larry Fitzgerald and before Fitzgerald there was Tory Holt, but who is not going to vote for a guy whose just passing the time in between shifts at the grocery store.
If Warner leads Arizona back to the playoffs next year and has similar numbers, I say he is a lock for the HOF.
Anyway, it's time to start thinking about March Madness, the start of baseball, Tiger's return to golf and if he will be ready for the Masters. That's what we should be thinking about — not football.
I don't want to waste your time talking about the NFL draft or even hint at the idea that if the Cowboys could trade up to the first round or get a franchise offensive tackle to sure up the left side of the line that they could bounce back from the disappointments of 2008 and become a real contender next year.
That discussion is for another day.
There is no reason to talk about next year, at least not until April when the draft comes around.
Then we can hash out what else Dallas needs before next season, if the Steelers are good enough to repeat or if Ben Roethlisberger deserves to be mentioned among the other great Super Bowl winning quarterbacks in the league right now.
However, if I did talk about Big Ben, I'd have to say he is a second tier guy for the moment because his defense is so good. But I will give the guy props for throwing for more than 3,000 yards in three of his first five seasons as a starter.
But I'm just not ready to call him elite or put him in the same class as Peyton Manning or Tom Brady.
Moving on to something else, something more news worthy than football — well first — I would like to just briefly mention that I'd like to see Dallas and Pittsburgh in Miami for Super Bowl XLIV.
It would be a treat of historical and traditional value.
And if the Cowboys could get that offensive lineman I refused to talk about earlier and maybe even a strong safety and a solid backup quarterback, who could end up replacing a highly overrated Tony Romo, then I think the Cowboys are very much in place for a run to Miami next year.
But again, the NFL regular season doesn't start for another 240 something days. I couldn't care less about football right now. It's the offseason. Nothing to talk about. Lets move on.
Unless of course, you guys (readers) want to then maybe I could warm up to the idea.

12 comments:

  1. Another great post....I have got to get this off my chest to whomever will listen and this is just another place to do so.

    I want to start off by saying I like Big Ben. I think he is a good qb who seems to be a good leader, someone who commands the huddle, and a tough guy. He helps himself greatly by having good pocket presence. HOWEVER, a lot of radio and tv media have now started placing him above the likes of Peyton Manning, just because he is 8 - 2 in the playoffs. That record is great. But lets not forget that he has the lowest qb rating ever in a superbowl. Lets not forget that his 2 superbowl opponents were the Seahawks(fluke year) and a 9-7 Cardinal team which was among the worst in the league on the defensive side.

    Big Bens SB stats: 30 - 51 (58%) (1st sb 42%) 379 yds, 1td - 3ints YES 1td and that came from an absolutely amazing catch. Far from great numbers.

    Mannings defense has given up about 8 points more a game than the Steelers. If you switched the 2 qbs Manning would probably have 3 or 4 rings.

    My points is that the QB position is the most important but the most overrated position in all of sports. And your considered great based on rings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you about Big Ben. His super bowl wins were product of good defense and the right matchups. Like you said, I don't want to down play what he has accomplished but I'm not ready to put him in the same category as Peyton Manning just because Ben has two rings and is 8-2 in the SB.

    I will say this though, rings have to be factored in when talking about 'greatest quarterback ever.'

    I'm still a Joe Montana guy because of his four rings. I still think he was the greatest because he had great numbers, while lacking the big arm. And he was just an unbelievable winner. He even went to KC and brought a fairly average Chiefs team to the playoffs after the niners gave him the boot.

    Statistics have to be factored in as well. You can't belittle a guy like Dan Marino just because he didn't win one and at the same time, you can't think too much of Trent Dilfer for having a ring.

    I also agree with you that quarterbacks can be an overrated position. I think a great quarterback can smother out and make up a big difference in a lesser team but more times than not, the great teams just need somebody to manage the game.

    I'd love the Boys to kick Romo to the curb and find a game manager. I think the Cowboys win the Super Bowl this year if we had a guy who could simply complete 10-12 passes a game and not fumble 115 times and throw 89 interceptions. Romo is dead to me. Way Overrated!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just thinking about Romo has ruined my morning. I hope he gets caught in somebody's sprinkler system today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In Texas, football season is never over. There is football season and football off-season, but, there is never a point where it is "over".

    In the pros, mini-camps and unofficial offseason workouts will begin in March and April. In college, you have Spring practice. In high school, you have Spring practice and 7 on 7 to look forward to ... it goes on and on.

    I'm with you ... ESPN needs to give the Super Bowl a break ... we've seen and heard enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am giving Romo my support one more year. He says he is going to be more of a leader and more serious. I am going to give his word a shot.

    I have a problem with the Cowboys (whoever said this) that T.O. wouldn't be back or something to that affect. Now hate him or love him he produces. He gets in the endzone.
    He also can be a big problem. So if you are going to say something like that you need to go through with it. If this year comes along and he is back with the Boys and causes problems oh well. He isn't the type you can say you want to get rid of and then don't do it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This actually presents what could be a whole different blog because I fault the media for a lot of what happens with TO, coaching moves and trades in general. The media almost decides when teams should fire a coach, hire a new coach or when it's time to push the TO button too much.

    TO is not normal. I mean, the guy gets two passes thrown to him in a win and you hear nothing but good from his mouth. Then he has 20 balls thrown to him in a loss and his comments are that he wasn't involved enough in the offense. He just wants to win but does not know how to express things without starting what appears to be trouble.

    That said, he has ego and self-esteem issues, so I'm with you Jebby, if there has been any discussion of trading TO, it's time to get rid of him. We could use a draft pick to solidify the offensive line or secondary, anyway. Plus, I think we could be better without TO, just because we would be less likely to throw the ball 45 times when we should be running 50 times. We have three solid backs and a line that does better at run blocking than it does at pass blocking. And if Romo isn't throwing an interception, he's dribbling the ball around in the backfield.

    What the Cowboys should really do this offseason is find away to get Albert Hainsworth from the Titans instead of signing Ray Lewis, which Jerry Jones will probably do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you meant to say you "couldn't care less," not that you could care less.

    They'll just hire anyone these days. haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you Cody.

    I don't even want football on my mind right now. I'm commissioner of a fantasy football league, and I won't even talk football with any of my league-mates until after the NFL draft.

    As a Cubs fan, I'm looking forward to dusting off the ol' "Wait 'till next year" t-shirt...and ready for Opening Day at Minute Maid.

    I do agree with the Anonymous Rounder that in Texas football season never ends. In fact, for football fans all over, there is always 'the season,' and the 'off-season.'

    But, for people like Cody and I, who work at The News, we cover all sports day-to-day. And yes, some days in the 'off-season,' we do come across a little golden football nugget every now and then, after living, breathing and watching every play and every stat by EVERY team, I don't find it that hard to put it aside and move onto the next sport. Not necessarily forgetting about it, how can we...it surrounds us down here.

    The radar is alway up. But the game cannot consume us 24-7-365. If I did and didn't personally go insane, I'm sure I'd drive someone else around me to be.

    So...pitchers and catchers report in a week...

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...excuse my rambline in that third to last paragraphy, I tend to write like I talk. Just put a period in your mind after 'now and then.'

    Hey, this is blogging. It ain't journalism, ya dig?

    ReplyDelete
  10. God doggit, I mispelled rambling.

    You know what, Cody, sorry I just brought down your mojo dude. I'm just gonna stop.

    But go Cubs, go.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No worries Mike. Well with the exception of fouling my page with talk about the CUBS. Unacceptable.

    To RowrBazzle: Please excuse my typo. I am only perfect 99 percent of the time. But kudos to you for catching me in that other one percent in which I am vulnerable to minor mistakes.

    ReplyDelete