Wednesday, February 25, 2009

ESPN's Interactive Tuesday has to go away!

Over the last few years, there have been a few things about ESPN that has really annoyed me to the point that I developed a twitch in my right eye.
In fact, when ESPN first took over Monday Night Football and Joe Theismann was the color commentator (he is the worst ever), my overall health took a turn for the worst and I eventually had to go see a shrink, who decided to erase a selective part of my memory so I could once again enjoy all things ESPN.
Unfortunately that twitch came back last night during ESPN's broadcast of the Nebraska, Texas A&M basketball game.
I only caught the tail end of that matchup but saw enough of it to know that the game was awful and I say that knowing the Aggies came-from-behind and eventually hit a buzzer-beater to steal the game with an undeserved 57-55 victory.
And don't get me wrong, typically buzzer-beaters are exciting.
The come-from-behind method of winning is exciting.
But the Aggies did not win, Nebraska just choked so much that A&M was practically forced to take the lead, and then thankfully time ran out.
The game was not what caused my eye to start twitching, however.
See, the problem was what was happening at the top of my screen. Courtesy of ESPN, morons of both schools were able to chime in their worthless homage.
Basically, there was an interactive thing streaming for fans to log onto ESPN's website and put their comments on national television. I think ESPN is calling it Interactive Tuesday.
I was enraged with rage.
They were taking up a portion of my screen with a streaming message from some bozo named Roughneckman24 who just wanted to say "Goooooo Aggs!!!!!!"
Are you kidding me?
I don't know how long this has been going on but it needs to stop.
Is ESPN hurting that bad?
No!
No, it's not.
It's the world wide leader in sports and 19 out of 11 people I know watch ESPN at least nine times (only counting once per day) a week.
People pour into the networks by the masses.
I don't understand why they have to add all the extra garbage?
I realize the word Entertainment is what the E stands for in ESPN but to me, 90 percent of the entertainment portion is the actual sport.
The funny commercials are the entertainment.
Pardon the Interruption and other programs like PTI are what I consider to be entertaining.
Live message streaming is not entertainment!
After I stuck my finger in the wall socket four times, I was able to calm down again and start taking notes on the last 1:30 of the game.
There were comments from the following people: CMaster, GoBigRed, MidnightClubLA, MandoHusker, and Cody Pastorella, which was my name. I said, "hi mom."
(That last part was a lie.)
Anyway, my two favorite comments were from Gatorbait who said, "this is one of the best games ever."
Around the same time CYMBlue said, "this is frustrating."
Gatorbait was obviously an Aggie fan because I've never seen an episode of the Steve Irwin show that took place in Nebraska. And the only person who could have possibly thought last night's game was the best basketball game ever, would have had to be rooting for the team that needed the other team to turn the ball over 11 times in about five minutes to get back into the contest.
CYMBlue was obviously a Nebraska fan because after the "buzzer beeterr" as one fan called it, CYMBlue logged on for one last message that said his life was over and that he was not going to bother planting any corn this season.
(That last part was another lie.)
Interactive Tuesday is completely unnecessary and otherwise annoying.
I hate it. It's in the way and it doesn't make any sense how they do it.
They leave it up during live action but take it down during replays and timeouts.
If ESPN is going to continue with Interactive Tuesdays, however, I think they should leave the streamer up all day, even during regular programming, especially during the live editions of SportsCenter so I can tell Josh Elliot to stop using the word "aplenty" 3,600 times an hour, every hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment