Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Releasing TO was a big mistake

Alright, here is the deal about releasing Terrell Owens — it was a horrible idea. I've pondered the issue for more than a week. I've meditated and have sought guidance from several sources, but I cannot justify his release.
He made up more than 50 percent of Dallas' passing game. On the math I'm making up for the purpose of this blog, TO was responsible for almost as much of the passing game as Tony Romo.
Basically, the team had 160 percent of the passing. When broken down, TO caught 50 percent while Romo threw for just 80 percent. That's just a difference of 30 percent, which is what Brad Johnson and the maggot receivers not named TO (also not counting Roy Williams) came up with.
If you are not confused yet, read those last few sentences again.
If you are confused, what all those numbers mean is that Tony Romo should have got the walking papers instead of TO.
I know you naysayers are ready to set your computers on fire for the blasphemy I am preaching right now, but I'm sorry, you're all just wrong on this issue.
TO is not that big of a monster. He is just confused on how to annunciate post game thoughts. Yes, he is ridiculous and outlandish most of the time. But more than often, I think he is simply misunderstood.
I mean, you never hear the guy gripe when the team wins. I recall one game this past season when he caught four passes. The Cowboys won. He was happy. On one Dallas score, TO was busting his hump down the field to throw blocks. He is a team-player who just wants to win.
I also recall a Cowboys loss where Owens had 17 passes thrown his direction. In the post game interview, he said the team lost because he didn't get the ball enough. Obviously that was not the reason Dallas loss that game and as teammates that is frustrating to hear.
But these teammates are grown men and know how TO is. Just let it go already. Who cares if he says something stupid? In my opinion, half of what TO says is inspiring. His meltdown in San Francisco ended with calling Jeff Garcia gay. Have you seen the model Garcia has since married?
Inspiring, I tell you.
Plus, I really think TO means well and I am being serious about that. He knows he can make a difference, so when his team loses, he feels he could have done more if he would have been given the opportunity.
Sure, he is not good at expressing his concerns, but is that enough a reason to cut him? Did he really cause that much damage last year?
I say he didn't. I say the problem lies with two people and those people are offensive coordinator Jason Garrett and the quarterback. Both Garrett and Romo are considerably overrated. Romo can't win big games. Garrett calls too many passing plays and both Romo and Garrett try too hard to cater to Owens' ego because they are afraid of him or something.
All Romo or Garrett needed to do was tell TO to pipe down and get him the ball when the time was right. You don't build an offense around receivers. You build offenses around an entire game plan. Quality receivers just make executing that game plan more favorable. And that's what TO gives a team: more than favorable opportunities to succeed.
Once the Cowboys got Roy Williams, they didn't need all the plays with four receivers. They didn't need a spread attack. They didn't need to sling the rock around 50 times a game because for one, Romo is not good enough to do that. Troy Aikman, a much better quarterback for Dallas, never threw the ball that much. The biggest problem with Romo is that he turns the ball over like four times a game. I think I even saw him fumble and throw an interception on the same play last year. That can't be easy.
Before letting TO go, all the Cowboys were going to need to do this season was run a double-tightend, two wideout, singleback set with Marcellus Bennett and Jason Whitten at tightend, Roy Williams and TO at receiver and a platoon of Marion Barber III, Felix Jones and Tashard Choice at running back. I could have called the plays.
It would have looked something like this: run, run, run, run, draw run, run, play-action bootleg for a touchdown. Really simple stuff when you have great personal.
I mean, I used this very plan on XBox 360 and the Cowboys won five straight championships. And I don't just credit my offensive strategy. I think the real difference between the Cowboys on John Madden Football and the Cowboys in real life is that I am better at being Tony Romo than Romo is at being himself.
The only reason my above mentioned offensive plan would not have worked for the Cowboys this upcoming season has nothing to do with TO's personality. The Cowboy's missing link is a quarterback.
If there was too much damage between Romo and TO, Dallas should have traded Romo for a couple draft picks, shored up the offensive line and picked up a quarterback late in the draft.
Romo is a joke. He's got a good eye for attractive women and quality handle on life but has a terrible eye for open receivers and an even worse handle for the football. I have a gagging reflux that flares up when I see players fumble. And with Romo on the field, I usually never hold down my Sunday lunch.
Anyway, Dallas played the he said, she said game and sided with the younger, pretty boy in Romo and now TO is in Buffalo. The Bills will probably make the playoffs and I doubt seriously the Cowboys will do better than 8-8 this season.
Romo is about as useful as a blind and lame racing horse with arthritis and a fear for going too fast. The offensive line is aging and are usually flagged before the Boys' defense even gets off the field. Garrett's decisions are comparable to that of the government's. Roy Williams' supporting cast of receivers is now less than terrible. Dallas needs another corner, a defensive lineman and a safety. Oh, and the Cowboys do not have a first or third round pick. And and and and and, they just burned $9 million releasing one of the best receivers to ever play the game because he whines a little when the team loses?
I'm already looking forward to the Astros 2010 season.

2 comments:

  1. My team now is going into next year with a #1 who couldn't get it done on the other side of T.O. I hope it were a fluke because he had a worse season than Patrick Crayton.

    If the Cowboys want to get my hopes up they need to sign an unhappy ANQUAN BOLDIN. But I don't see it happening. I will probably end up watching a past his prime Marvin Harrison.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Dallas has invested and lost too much into receivers already. It's time to abort that mission and just focus on shoring up the defense and offensive line. I think the O-line does a fair job in run blocking and the Cowboys have great TEs. They can still be a run-oriented team and hope Roy Williams can be an elite receiver. I will give him a pass on last year because of the timing of everything.

    ReplyDelete